Well, by now I think most JimSmashers have heard that Marvel killed Captain America... in a very stupid, pointless manner, too. I'm having trouble putting my thoughts and opinions to page, so until I do, here's what some fans are saying online:
* Way to go Marvel. You've made a powerful statement. Remember kids, sacrificing your civil liberties for national security is the only way to go. Sticking up for the Bill of Rights will only get you a bullet in the brain. Joe Simon himself said, that we need Cap now more than ever and he's right.
This is just another sickening reminder that we'll soon lose all of the Greatest Generation and there's nothing worse than that. The only way Cap should ever "die" is going out in a blaze of glory saving the world and that's that. Not for some nihilistic political statement about the Patriot Act. Shouldn't the comics be the one place we can all go to escape some of our more nauseating realities?!
--SweetMonkeyCreek
* Until about 1986, the greatest strength of comics came in their ability to teach kids valuable lessons about life. Death existed and was (presumably) final: Uncle Ben, Bucky Barnes, Captain Marvel.
Parents may not have wished their kids to see death, but at least parents knew kids would learn about choices, their consequences, and stimulate responsibility.
Comics have lost that important element, and that is why the business suffers. The publishers, particularly Marvel, cater to headlines and an ever-shrinking post-30 fan base. Pretty soon, they'll find themselves with no future readership. DC is starting to look more and more brilliant every day.
--PirateTom
* I guess heroes that fight for the right, don't kill and work toward the betterment of others are out of style.
So what do I tell my daughter when she asks me where all the heroes are? I guess I just have to say that Marvel killed off the good ones to get in the papers and make a quick buck.
--jgalaudet01
* Blah. Marvel stinks. I wish I'd recognized this trend 20 years ago when they brought back Jean Grey.
--PirateTom
* Just another in a long line of really bad decisions from Marvel. The writers and Editors can't come up with an interesting and original plot line, so they just kill the hero in a lame attempt to draw in readers. All they are really doing is pissing off the loyal readers and attracting new readers who don't care about the character, and will leave the book after about 6 issues.
Learn how to write a decent story, and attract fans with quality not gimmicks!
--logans_
* Thank you Marvel for showing that if the terrorists wait long enough, America will destroy its own symbols of truth, justice, and liberty.
--DeadCap
* I first heard the news on our local television station this morning. They announced that a major superhero who has been around since WWII was being killed off. There are still lots of heros this could have been but I immediately thought of Cap and this Civil War story line. As they continued the news blurb and I found my fears confirmed, my wife was amused to see tears in my eyes. How can they do this? I couldn't believe it. The shock was right up there with 9/11, John Lennons assasination, the space shuttle explosion. Rationally I know this is a comic book yet my sense of lose, anger and betrayal seemed none the less real. I am 50 years old and have been a fan of Cap's my entire life. I was introduced to him by my uncle who served in WWII and was a big fan. I introduced my nephews to him and my own sons when they came along. Captain America has been and always will be a symbol of everything thats good in an imperfect country. Through his stories we are able to accept the flaws in our nation while keeping sight of the ideals that make us great. He was a moral compass that I was proud to pass on to my childern.
If this is really the final chapter for Steve Rogers I will sorely miss him as an old friend. If it is a temporary storyline twist, I understand the business reasons behind it for Marvel. I only hope they realize the real emotional impact this has on loyal fans. I know I'll read on. Cap's title hasn't been cancelled so something is still up. We'll have to wait and see before we judge too harshly. Either way Captain America will continue to live for me in my memory and the ideals I try to live and teach my children.
Nuff said
--CapFan America
* I went into Law Enforcement as a result of growing up on the stories of Captain America. He was my favorite HERO, because of his ideals and attitudes. In an age where so called "super heros" are killing each other and having affairs and doing drugs....etc.....His character seemed to be above this.....I find it to be totally implausible that a character who has faced all of the villians, that Cap has, would die in such a "real-world" way....Something is totally lost with this story line...and the people who came up with it, demonstrate a total lack of understanding for the character that has been evolving and developing for well over fifty years......and it seems that the people at Marvel who are responsible for this have absolutely no respect for their readers to have introduced this concept........Regardless of how anyone feels about the Bush Administration or Iraq, there are men and women in this country laying their lives on the line every day to support the ideals espoused by the character of Captain America.....to take action like this at a time like this is extremely disapointing and in some ways irresponsible......As a parent he was one character I could share with my child who is younger than twelve...........I could most likely write pages on this........or write nasty names for those responsible...but I'll end this by stating that I will most likely never buy another Marvel Comic until they fix this problem.....
--A Real Captain
* I will return...do not buy Marvel products until I am revived and they make better movies! FF4 my ass.
--Ghost of Cap
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment