Initial post here
at JIMSMASH.blogspot.com
Check there daily for X-Nerd Fun!
----------------------------------------
Check there daily for X-Nerd Fun!
----------------------------------------
Below are some pages from Jim Lee's classic X-MEN #1, 1991. Click on them to enlarge, read and geek on the killer Jim Lee art.
He was a god back then. Jim Lee had this uncanny knack for drawing a character and making it THE perfect rendition. Check out his MAGNETO!!! THIS to me is the ultimate best Magneto hands down. Which of course is one of the reasons why I wasn't thrilled with the Movie version. The only character I didn't dig of his was his handling of Rogue. Under his pencils, she became a weak, timid, girlie-girl sexpot who batted her eyelashes and stood with low self-esteem body language. For those of you who knew Rogue in her early days, you know all too well that is NOT the character of Rogue. But on the otherhand, he flipped Psylocke around from tea-time pink british aristocrat to an badass Asian ninja in sexy revealing clothing. I hated the "original" Psylocke but personally loved the "new" one! His Wolverine kicked nuts, too.
Jim Lee's arrival on X-Men was both a gift and a curse. A gift because his art was unbelievable cool back then and he brought a level of excitement to the book that was unthought of prior. I'd love to see him return to X-Men sometime, but that's a longshot (heh) since he's in bed with DC now. The Curse.... Jim Lee unfortunately and unintentionally ushered in the craptastic stylings of the 90s in comic books. The 90s, for the most part, was a very very dark time for mainstream comics. Just terrible writing and god awful art, most trying unsuccessfully to emulate Jim Lee's art. It's not his fault, but personally I see his success ushering in that decade of D-Rated immitators.
But like I said, it's not his fault and Jim Lee was a GOD back then.
There are 2 good collections of his X-Men run:
Uncanny X-Men stuff
X-Men stuff







No comments:
Post a Comment